Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On the subject of birthdays

As many of you know, I am a numbers guy. Not as crazy as some accountants and engineers I know, but I like to find patterns to things that help me remember them. This is especially true with birthdays, as I have a horrible time remembering them (I'd like to say 'sorry' to all of my friends that I've forgotten b-days for over the years).

In my immediate family there is a trend that really helps with this. Check it out:

My birthday: October 10th
My mom: November 9th
My brother: December 8th

See? Each adds up to 20, and they go in order! By this logic, I was really hoping that baby Gus would wait till September 11th (yeah, I know, not the best date in history). Needless to say that my wife was not excited about that - it would have been 2 weeks past the due date, and she was getting sick of being pregnant.

When he was born on August 26th, I was trying to figure out how the heck I would remember that of all things - but I came up with two ideas. One is that each section of his birth date adds up to 8: 08-26-08. That works pretty well, but even cooler is the similarity to my wife's date. See if you see the pattern:

Gus: 08-26-08
Rose: 06-08-82

See that? The six digits are all the same - just in a different order! How cool is that?

1 comment:

Antonio Aramburu said...

God bless you William . . . you freak! ;) J.K. One of the reasons Mary & I chose our wedding date (4/17/04) is that the bookends add up 8, her day of birth (9/8) and because 17 is my favorite number. =D