Friday, August 29, 2008

More details about Gus' birth

Here is a copy of a blog entry that Rose made on her MySpace account, which has more details and a different perspective on the actual labor and delivery, as well as some of the events since then:

"Monday morning I was sure I was never going to have Gus. I went to the Dr. and we set up another appt for past my due date. Long about 3pm my water spontaneously broke. I went to the birthing center just to verify that it was a ruptured membrane and while I was there I went into labor strong enough to admit me. I planned on going as natural as I could, but after 10 hours of back labor back to back to back with less than 15 seconds between contractions I took the epidural. At that point I was fully effaced but still dilated only to 3 (back labor can be far less productive) This is by far the best decision I have made in my entire life, if I had not taken it I would have had to have an emergency C section. I was able to relax and went from 3 to 7 in 4 hours and 7 to 10 in half an hour. I was able to push, I was told I was one of the best pushers they have seen, especially for an epidural and a first time mom, but the baby was OP (sunny side up) and too big and he wouldn't turn over. After 2 hours of serious pushing they called a doc in to manually flip the baby and I was able to deliver after another half hour of pushing. I did end up with a second degree tear but they told me with his head I should have had a 4th degree. He had some trauma after being in the canal for so long and pushing the wrong part of his skull against my pelvis. He had to go up to the NICU right after he was born because he wasn't breathing well. He had a fever (I was group B negative) he had the cord wrapped around his neck and he was striding instead of breathing. He scored a 5 on his 1 minute apgar and 8 on his 5 min apgar. He was pretty coneheaded and his nose was smushed and bruised so bad, bless his heart! That is evening out some now, his nostrils are just uneven. He also had blood sugar issues because he was so big. He was born at 9:01 am Tues and was 9 pounds 3 oz and 20.7 inches long. They finally released him to us from the NICU around noon and we came home Wednesday around 3pm. Last night was our first night home and it was rough, but we made it. Because of his trauma he had to go back to see the pediatrician today. He is jaundiced and he has lost too much weight. He weighed in this morning at 8 pounds 2 oz. We have to go back for a weight check tomorrow to make sure that he hasn't lost anymore. I am struggling with the feeding, but he and I will continue to learn together. He is just a big strong guy and my production can't keep up, and he needs so much to heal from his birth, it really was pretty tough on him. My mom has been here to help and it has been fab, I am really glad she is here. I have had maybe 10 hours of sleep since I woke up on Monday morning, so I haven't felt much up to phone calls or visitors, and I am still pretty sore.

I am really hopeful that the weigh in will go well tomorrow, and when I get a chance I will let you know. Willie has been updating the family blog, but is such a trooper helping me and staying up to help at night, so he will update that more as he can to, please be sure to follow that too, so you miss nothing about the George family.

Gus is a sweet natured baby that is easily consoled, but he works himself up pretty quickly when he is mad. I think he looks like a god mix between me and Willie if you look at our baby pictures, which you can't as you don't have access to them. He hates having his diaper changed more than anything, but he keeps his eyes open a lot just taking everything in. We are so blessed to have this little guy, he is an angel.

Thank you so much to everyone who has called! I am getting caught up eventually. I love my new little man. I think I am up to starting to take visitors here at home, but I respectfully ask that you call first, because the breastfeeding thing can be really really tough. Don't give up, I am not ignoring you, I am just really tired and overwhelmed! I really feel loved and cared for. When you call Willie or I can get you our new address and directions.

I need to crash out while I can, love you guys!"

No comments: