Saturday, October 4, 2008

So William has Decided to Eat Better

Yes, I've finally decided to try and eat in a more healthy fashion. Actually, 'try' is not a good word - I will eat better, I will train myself to eat better. I've attempted to diet in the past, with differing degrees of success, but I need to get away from the idea that I can eat nicely for a month and then go back to my old ways.

The way I've been treating my body is really starting to take a toll, and while I've lived with it for years I cannot afford to do so any longer. I have a son now, so I've got to take better care of myself - and I'm going to start with the way I eat. Here, then, is my plan; I think that I need to approach this in three ways:

1) I need to eat less overall

2) I need to eat little or no of certain foods that currently make up most of my diet (fast food, desserts, snacks)

3) I need to eat more fruits and vegetables

Rose is also of the opinion that I should begin taking a multivitamin, which is probably a good idea - but not directly related to the food choices I must make.

Those three rules are good, but they aren't detailed enough to help me make specific situational choices. As such, I've come up with a list of things I am going to adhere to - and I will probably be adding to this as time goes by:

- I will not keep any cookies, ice cream, or other treats that I like at home.
- I will order smaller portions of both food and desserts when eating out. Small cookies, small/single scoop ice creams, small/6-inch sandwiches, only one cheeseburger (when I indulge in that), etc.
- I will eat breakfast every day; something healthy, or if it is something sweeter (like waffles) not too many
- I will eat at home whenever Rose cooks something for me
- I will take leftovers or other food for lunch at least three times a week (rather than eating out a bunch)
- I will make sure to eat at least one serving of fruits and one of vegetables every day (and more over time)
- I will replace unhealthy snacks I used to eat between meals with more nutritious alternatives

Any of you that read this and are close friends or family, I would ask that you please help hold me to these decisions. Someday I intend that these will be second-nature, but until then I am sure I'll be tempted to fall back into old habits. If nothing else, I would appreciate prayer in this area of my life. Thank you in advance!

1 comment:

Antonio Aramburu said...

That's great William!! Mary & I decided to eat healthier just this past year. We haven't, at all times, kept with it, but all-in-all, I have to say we are eating much more healthy than before.